1/4 red onion, finely chopped
juice of 2 limes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
salt and pepper
1 small piece of steak
2 flour tortillas
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup grated Monterey jack
1 peach, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 jalapeño, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
sour cream, for serving
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine half of the red onion, the juice of one lime, the garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and hot sauce. Season the steak with salt and pepper and add the steak to the bag, shaking. Let marinate for at least a half an hour and refrigerate for up to a night.
- Using a cookie cutter or other circular shape, cut 4 three-inch in diameter rounds out of each tortilla.
- Heat the frying oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot add the rounds and fry until crisp. Remove with tongs and place on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle rounds with salt.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Meanwhile cook the steak. Preheat a grill to medium high. Grill, covered, for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Let rest for 10 minutes; slice.
- In a large bowl, combine the peach, the rest of the red onion, the jalapeño, cilantro, juice of the second lime, and the other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the chip round with a heaping tablespoon of cheese. Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top chips with steak and salsa.
- Serve immediately with sour cream.
Makes 8 nachos, or serves 1.
- Finger Foods, Appetizers