With the lovely weather of Summer, who wants to spend all day indoors baking? Not me! Thankfully, I came across this sweet and tart lemon confection that is quick and simple. A light, single-layer cake flavored with lemon zest and poppy seeds, this dessert is complemented by a zippy yet sugary lemon glaze.
The perfect fix for any Summer sweet tooth, the recipe would also make a great cupcake for your next picnic or bbq. To learn how to make this sour yet luscious cake,
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter and granulated sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs until combined. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to cake pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then invert onto rack.
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. Pour glaze over warm cake, spreading it with a spatula to drizzle over edge. Let stand until glaze is set, about 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Desserts, Cake