Do you recognize this gorgeous table? If so, you, like me, admired it when I ran a tour of jewelry designer Maya Brenner's gorgeous home. It turns out that Maya found the table on 1stDibs, but it wasn't an instant discovery. Today, Maya's back to share some tips on making the process of finding your perfect piece of furniture on 1stDibs as quick and simple as possible.
I started hearing so much about 1stDibs.com while re-decorating my house— the site sounded like an online high-end auction house — I was intrigued. At the time, I was obsessing on entryway tables and wasn’t having much luck finding what I wanted, so I began searching through 1stDibs.
I browsed by category “Table” then subcategory “Console,” “Demilune,” and “Side Tables.” If you are like me, you don’t really know the difference between a Sergio Rodregues and a Jean Royere. . . . I came to find out the difference is about $20,000! But I do know what I like.
I found a fantastic, simple table that had the dimensions and price point that I needed, but . . .
One problem: I forgot to sort by location, so this table was in New York and I live in LA. Not worth the shipping hassle. OK, so now I’m wise to the “Shop Local” button and I choose “Los Angeles only.” Now I’m in business!
I find so many more tables available in my area. I call the stores before coming in first to make sure they are not sold or warehoused somewhere else. I look at a lot of tables but still not dazzled.
Finally, a few weeks after I began my initial search on 1st Dibs, I click on “New Listings” at the top page of the site and there she is.
There were a few scratches in the red lacquer from a recent photo shoot that needed to be retouched. Other than that, with a little learning curve — and a lot of searching — I had found my perfect table on 1stDibs!
Keep reading for Maya Brenner's top five tips for shopping on 1stDibs!
Top Five 1stDibs Tips
- Choose the “Shop Local” button unless it is a small item and/or you are willing to pay more to have a larger item shipped from another location.
- Make sure to click “No” for the “include solds” button unless you want to look at all the beautiful things you missed out on buying.
- If headed to the store, call ahead to make sure that the item you want is there (for example, my red table is still up on 1stDibs and sitting in the entryway of my house).
- Check back often! Sometimes it seems that the same pieces keep popping up, but dealers are adding new items constantly.
- There is so much to see on 1stDibs that I found it best to stay focused and search for one particular item at a time.