Allow us to introduce your new best friend: the bell jar. Place just about anything, even the simplest of objects, beneath a beautiful glass bell jar and — ta-da! — it's instantly transformed into a stylish accent piece. The best part: you can easily swap out a variety of items to suit the occasion. For the holiday season, think outside the box and try one of these creative ideas for a fun, festive display:
- Books: Stack your favorite holiday reads beneath a bell jar for a cool, literary look. Another savvy idea? Choose the books based on color for a fresh, unexpected display — think red and green, metallic, or Winter white.
- Mercury glass: For a modern, metallic style that fits in with any color scheme, buy a variety of mercury glass ornaments to place inside. The Pottery Barn Lit Mercury Glass Globes ($30-$55) would create an especially gorgeous, glowing display.
- Vintage ornaments: Create a nostalgic vignette by grouping your most special ornaments under the jar. Don't worry about whether they coordinate — the more eclectic, the better.
- Holiday cards: Not sure what to do with all those greeting cards? Set the most stylish picks on display for a sweet, thoughtful decorative accent.
- Cotton: Go for a snowy effect by gathering a bunch of cotton branches beneath the glass.
- Seasonal blooms: Switch up your standard vase routine by setting a seasonal flower arrangement under the jar. Snip off the stems for a beautiful, blooms-only look.
- Pine cones: One of the simplest options? Find several pinecones and set them beneath the jar on their own, or step up the style factor by coating them in metallic spray paint.