More than just a place to stack your favorite reads, a bookcase can be one of the best places to show off your unique style. Inspired by this striking vignette designed by Trip Haenisch & Associates, we're taking a look at some of the key creative elements that grab our attention. Check out these smart design ideas to curate your own standout bookcase:
- Play with proportion: For a striking look, choose just a few large, unique objects for the top shelf. Stick to a more neutral color palette for the oversize items so that you can use books and smaller items to experiment with color.
- Get creative with knickknacks: This vignette features everything from a clock to a tall letter to an antique bell, so take a cue from Trip Haenisch, and don't be afraid to include some of the odd, eclectic pieces you've collected.
- Top book stacks with trinkets: Set a small bowl or tiny curiosity on a few of the book stacks for a cool, artistic display. Worried about the shelves looking chaotic? Arrange the books by color and size for a more visually appealing style.
- Add a clamp-on lamp: To keep the look simple and streamlined, avoid a bulky table lamp. Try a sleek floor lamp or, for a smart, space-saving option, find an industrial lamp that can attach to the bookcase.
- Incorporate some texture: Not only are baskets a convenient, attractive way to store loose items, but they also add a new texture to the display. Placed on the bottom shelf, baskets will ground the look without distracting from the rest of the bookcase.