Celebrating the new year doesn't mean that you have to start 2009 with an extra large bag of trash. There are some smart ways that you can decorate and prepare for your party that will keep garbage to a minimum. What better way to start off the new year than with a clean and green conscience?
To see my tips,
- Use reusable cloth napkins and dishes, such as these CB2 Marilyn Plates ($ .95), which are made of melamine and can be reused at future parties in 2009.
- Encourage your guests to carpool, or arrange to pick them up from the nearest public transit station, if one doesn't run close enough to your home for guests to walk.
- Don't put away those holiday decorations yet! Reuse decorations, such as holiday ornaments, as chic centerpieces.
- Make your own confetti out of old wrapping paper.
- Encourage guests to make green resolutions for the new year.