Swapping out your incandescent light bulbs for compact fluorescent lights is one of the easiest eco-friendly changes you can make at home. Though CFLs have a higher price tag than regular light bulbs, they offer extraordinary savings in the long run, both for your pocketbook and the environment. (Find out exactly how much with this Get Green Savings Calculator.)
So what are you waiting for? For five reasons to switch to CFLs right now,
- CFLs use about 70 to 75 percent less energy than incandescent bulbs. According to Energy Star, if everyone replaced just one regular bulb with a CFL, the country could save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes a year.
- They last up to 10 times longer than old-fashioned bulbs, which means getting out the ladder to replace them that much less often.
- The bulbs give off a nice, warm light — not the harsh, cold glare you're used to with fluorescent tubes.
- CFLs come in many varieties and can be used with dimmer switches and three-way lighting.
- They also give off less heat than regular bulbs, so you overall home-cooling costs are likely to go down as well.