In this DIY, I'm going to show you how to personalize your plain ol' coir doormat to assure your guests that they're ringing the right doorbell. I saw this project on MarthaStewart.com, and since it fits so well within this month's Renewal theme, I had to share. To find out how to do it, read more.
- 18' x 30" coir doormat
- Masking tape, 3" and 3/4" widths
- Address numbers
- Card stock
- Utility knife
- T pins
- 12 oz. can of enamel spray paint in a contrasting color
- Make a border around the perimeter of your mat with 3" tape, positioning it 1 1/4" from the edge.
- Make a second border, affixing 3/4" tape, leaving 1/2" between borders.
- Print out your address numbers in large type (i.e. ~ 650 pt. type).
- Photocopy the numbers onto card stock, and cut them out with a utility knife.
- Or, choose 6-inch numbers from your hardware store.
- Use a ruler to center the numbers and pin the card stock ones to mat using the T pins.
- In a well-ventilated area, hold the can of spray paint 4 to 6 inches over the mat and spray in small circles. To paint the edges of the mat, bring the can closer.
- Let the paint dry for at least two hours, and then remove the tape and numbers. Voilà!