If you've never sewn before, this is a great project to start you on your way. No machine is needed, as everything is hand sewn. Hand sewing is a great skill, as you can use it to complete simple repairs on clothing, from patching jeans to sewing on buttons to hemming skirts. And what better way to get you on your way than with an easy, adorable home decor project? This bird mobile, from Spool Sewing, will look lovely in a nursery, craft room, or primary-color saturated kitchen. Since many of you admit that you're still in love with the bird trend, why don't you take some time this weekend to get started on this project?
What You'll Need
- 2 different fabrics
- Sewing needle
- Filament wire
To find out how to make it, read more
Here are the steps:
- Cut the pieces out using this pattern.
- Put the right sides (the sides that will be on the outside of the finished bird) together, and pin one edge of the belly fabric to the body fabric.
- Sew the two pieces together, using a straight seam, from dot to dot on the pattern.
- Pin the other edge together and sew it the same way.
- Sew the head seam together.
- Turn the bird inside out, so the right side is on the outside, and stuff.
- Sew the tail closed.
- Repeat this process until you have the number of birds needed for your mobile.
- Sew the birds to a branch, or hang them from branches with filament, to approximate the mobile in picture.
- Hang and enjoy!