I spotted this DIY on How About Orange, and thought it was so cute and simple, so I decided I'd summarize it. The great thing about this project is that you can personalize it with any fabric, or by sewing or stitching an interesting pattern into the coaster. It's also a great housewarming gift that's inexpensive and can be customized to the color scheme of a friend's new home!
- Heavy-weight fabric
- Iron-on vinyl
- Fabric glue stick
- Vanishing fabric marker
- Sewing machine (or needle and thread in coordinating color)
- Pinking shears
To hear the steps,
- Cut the fabric and the iron-on vinyl into two squares of equal size per coaster you'd like to make, each a bit larger than four inches.
- Adhere one vinyl square to each square of fabric, following the manufacturer's instructions (basically stick on and iron briefly on both sides).
- Then, stick the two laminated squares together, so the vinyl is facing outward. Use the fabric glue stick to keep them together.
- Draw a square on one side of the coaster with the vanishing fabric marker, a little bit in from the edges of the square.
- Sew along the lines of the square you drew. Feel free to stitch some sort of decoration.
- Trim the edges of the coaster with the pinking shears to finish it off. Voilà!