If you're stumped for a unique holiday gift, you could bring some timeliness to a friend's life with this book clock ($19.95) from Etsy seller Recycleeh. Or, if you're feeling handy, you might consider personalizing your friend or family member's favorite book by turning it into a clock.
To make this cool clock, simply choose a hardcover book, without a busy cover, so that the clock numbers are legible. The book also needs to be large enough to fit the clock hands. Aside from the book, you'll need a clock hands set (available at Michael's or other craft store), a ruler, a protractor, pen, paper, scissors, and a drill. The stem of the clock hands set varies between 1/4 and 3/4 inch, so be sure it fits the thickness of your book.
To learn the steps for this project,
Here's how to do it, according to Instructables:
- Use your ruler to find the center of your book. Then mark it with a pen.
- If you like, spray paint your clock hands in a different color.
- Drill a hole where you marked the center of the book. Your clock hand set should suggest what size drill bit to use, so follow its instructions.
- According the instructions, install your clock hands and parts into the hole you drilled.
- Using the longest clock hand as a guide for the radius, draw a circle onto a piece of paper with your pen using the protractor.
- Cut out the circle, and center the template over the center of the book (where the clock hands are).
- Adhere the clock numbers onto the book, a bit beyond the edge of the circle template, evenly all the way around. Begin with numbers 3, 6, 9, and 12 and then fill in the other numbers. Fini!