Since the grass is green, the weather warm, and I recently broke out my bikini, Spring picnics in the park are constantly on my mind these days. PartySugar has me covered with a delicious Spring picnic menu to fill my belly between rounds of Frisbee and catch, and I came across a wonderful DIY for cheerful placemats to go along with her all-American apple pie bar and fried chicken recipes. The no-sew DIY is just too cute to resist, and easy as apple pie bars, so I had to share.
- Oilcloth (15-x-12 inches per placemat)
- Grosgrain ribbon (18 inches per placemat)
- Craft knife
- Pinking shears
To learn the steps, read more.
Here's how, from Make Grow Gather:
- Cut the oil cloth to 15-x-12-inch rectangles (or whatever size you'd like).
- Cut the grosgrain to 18-inch lengths per rectangle.
- Trim the edges of the placemats with the pinking shears.
- Halfway down either the left or right edge of each placemat, make a small incision with the craft knife (about the width of your ribbon).
- Thread the ribbon through the incision that you just made.
- With the placemat pattern side down, lay down your napkin and silverware (or plasticware) on top of it, and roll them up.
- Then, wrap the ribbon around the roll a few times and tie a bow. Toss them in a your picnic basket and you're good to go!