A painless way to personalize a plain, big-box retailer lampshade is to trim it with a bit of grosgrain ribbon. The small change will not only make an otherwise boring shade distinctly you, but it can help bring together the mix of colors in your room. You can choose to run your ribbon across the top of your shade, top and bottom, layer ribbons to cover the entire shade . . . the possibilities are endless!
- Grosgrain ribbon
- Plain lampshade
- Fabric glue
- Clear nail polish
To learn the steps,
- Cut your ribbon about an inch longer than the circumference of your shade.
- To prevent fraying, paint each end of the ribbon with the nail polish.
- Apply the fabric glue to the back of your grosgrain ribbon.
- Run the ribbon along one edge of your shade to adhere it.
- Smooth out air pockets, bubbles, and wrinkles as you go along.
- Make sure the ribbon looks straight, and then overlap the extra inch or so at the end of your ribbon onto the beginning part.
- Repeat as you like on the top or bottom edges.
- Fini! How's that for a small change?