If the words "Triple Word Score" mean anything to you then this project is for you. You can put a retired Scrabble set to work by recycling it into coasters. If you don't want to part with your beloved Scrabble set, you can purchase batches of Scrabble tiles on eBay for little more than five bucks.
- Scrabble tiles (64-100 for a set of four)
- Cork board or cardboard and felt
- Hot glue gun with glue sticks
- Mod Podge or a stronger sealant (polyurethane)
- Grosgrain ribbon (the width of a Scrabble tile's height)
To learn the steps,
- Take out a pen and paper and brainstorm some four- or five-letter words related to drinks (wine, cafe, pinot, etc.) that you'd like to use on your coasters. Play with their configurations, and come up with a blueprint for your letter arrangements, either 4-x-4 tiles or 5-x-5.
- Measure the dimensions of your square of tiles, and cut the corkboard or cardboard accordingly.
- If you're using cardboard, cut a piece of felt to the same size and glue it to the cardboard base.
- Glue your Scrabble-tile arrangement to your base. Let dry.
- Seal the top of the tiles with Mod Podge. Let dry.
- Glue the grosgrain ribbon around edge of the coaster. Let dry.
- Uncork some vino and drink up!
You can also purchase new Scrabble tiles from Hasbro, but it's best to recycle! Try thrift stores, yard sales, and eBay for vintage ones.