If you liked my transformation of a shutter, then check out this DIY, where I show you how to make an earrings display out of some low-cost materials. This is a fun and fast DIY that will instantly transform an earring collection.
What You'll Need
- One shutter (check out an architectural salvage store or a junkyard for cheap shutters)
- Wallpaper samples, or heavy paper
- Mod Podge or wallpaper paste
- Scissors or a razor blade
- Flat edge tool, such as a credit card
- Three screws: two short screws for the back of your shutter, and one longer screw for the wall
- Screwdriver or power drill
- Picture hanging wire
To hear the steps,
- Working on a flat surface, cover one edge of the shutter with the wallpaper. Run your finger firmly against the wallpaper where it meets the edges of the shutter. You'll be able to see raised marks on the edges of the paper if you press hard enough. Use these edges as your guides for cutting the paper.
- Repeat these steps on all of the outside edges of the shutter. This will provide the "frame" for your earrings holder.
- Now, use your wallpaper paste or Mod Podge to glue down the wallpaper. Use your flat edge tool to make sure that the wallpaper adheres smoothly to the wood.
- After your wallpaper dries, turn over the shutter and screw two short screws onto each side of the shutter, near the top. Then, twine your picture hanging wire on each end.
- Screw the longer screw into the wall of your bedroom or bathroom (or wherever you want to display your earrings).
- Hang your earrings, and enjoy the display!