While they are undeniably beautiful, tropical and exotic flowers are usually shipped thousands of miles to make it to your door. Not only does this create a major impression on your carbon footprint, it often means that the flowers are less than fresh. Instead of relying on tropical beauties, consider some of the domestic options that stick with the natural progression of the seasons.
Choosing flowers local to your area has such an array of benefits. Not only will you support a local florist or farmer, growing flowers naturally attracts wildlife that helps to create a natural balance of pest control for your community. Here are a five of our favorite picks that will bring a beautiful Fall vibe to your next bouquet:
- Coxcomb: It should come as no surprise that we love the crazy-looking coxcomb. Its unique shape and texture bring such interesting dimension to an Autumn arrangement. They look like something that could live under the sea!
- Crab Apples: You may not think to include these little guys in a floral arrangement, but they can add the bright pop of red or yellow your arrangement needs.
- Chrysanthemum: While mums are available all year-round, their actual season is Fall. These jewel-toned beauties have such a beautiful shape.
- Marigold: If you want to add some Autumn flair to an arrangement, these golden and orange blooms scream Fall. While they resemble daisies and carnations, you may not know that marigolds are actually in the sunflower family.
- Zinnias: These bright and cheerful blooms (seen above) come in a variety of colors and go great with a number of other flowers.
- Sunflowers: Sunflowers are a Fall favorite and will brighten up any room you use them in. While the yellow ones are the most common, they come in variety rich tones and shades like burgundy red.
— Additional reporting by Emily Bibb
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.