City dwellers may be strapped for outdoor space, but many have access to a balcony (or know someone with that coveted access). We were reminded of this overlooked but essential space when we spotted this still from Lola Versus, which is set in Manhattan. This Summer, take a cue from the movies and dress up your diminutive outdoor spaces so they're party-ready at a moment's notice. Here are seven of our favorite suggestions.
- Make your balcony foot-friendly by layering outdoor rugs. For the short term, try one of the cool indoor/outdoor rugs from Dash and Albert.
- Ask your barbecue to multitask. Make yours do double-duty by investing in a Black + Blum Hot Pot BBQ ($124). This grill looks like a terra-cotta pot filled with herbs when not in use, but conceals a BBQ grill underneath.
- Don't stop at our barbecue: dot your balcony with plants. Save space and add some privacy by using hanging planters or Woolly Pockets hung from the railings or along the wall.
- Mount matching lanterns on either side of the window or door leading to your balcony. These Half-Bottle Lanterns ($48) are a versatile choice.
- Invest in sturdy and stylish glassware. Leave your crystal indoors and try enamel glasses and pitchers instead, like this Flower Enamel Pitcher and Glasses ($55), which are just begging for sangria.
- Balcony furniture should be versatile, which is why we recommend folding furniture. You can tuck it out of the way when it's not in use and easily pull it out when it's needed. Try the Pottery Barn Surry Folding Bench ($199 to $389).
- Pick out beautiful outdoor fabrics and have some custom pillows and poufs made. Coordinate these items with your living room furniture, and you can use them indoors when the Summer season fades.