If you're having a destination wedding or you have invited out-of-towner guests to your wedding, it's proper etiquette to offer suggestions on places where they can stay while in town. Of course, hotels are the first thing that come to mind. Some guests may prefer lodging that feels more "home-y," and others simply can't afford the costs of hotels (especially in high-traffic tourist spots). So, it would be a nice courtesy to send your friends and family a list of hotel alternatives for your big day. If you're like most brides, you've probably got a lot on your mind (and to-do list), so I've compiled a list to help you out:
- Craigslist is an online classifieds website that lists vacation rentals and temporary sublets by owners around the world.
- Stay4Free is a network that helps you find addresses of people offering free accommodation to travelers all over the world.
- Digsville lists home exchanges in more than 55 countries.
- Home Base Holidays is a major international home-exchange agency, with access to listings from several home-exchange agencies.
There are plenty more where these came from, so
- Hospitality Exchange is a traveler's directory of travelers who offer each other hospitality in their homes.
- Home Exchange is the vacation alternative "where you stay in my house and I stay in yours."
- Home-Exchange International is a home-exchange membership with thousands of home listings in over 60 countries.
- HomeLink International is the world's leading home-exchange organization with over 13,000 home swappers drawn from 72 countries around the world.
- ChristianHomeExchange.com is a nonprofit service promoting home exchanges for Christians.
- VRBO is a directory listing for vacation rentals by owner.
- International Home Exchange Network arranges home exchanges, rents members' second or vacation homes and locate unique privately-owned vacation rentals worldwide.
- InterVac offers members a multilanguage, real-time database of over 20,000 home-exchange listings.
- Seniors Home Exchange is a home exchange membership for anyone over the age of 50.
- Hosteling International is a hostel operator of more than 90 Youth Hostel Associations in over 80 countries, operating over 4,000 hostels.
- Hostels.com is a comprehensive resource and search engine for almost 23,228 hostels worldwide.
- EuroTrip.com is a travel website and community with thousands of ratings and reviews of hostels, guesthouses, apartments, and cheap hotels across Europe.
- Vacation Rentals Directory is a human-edited directory of vacation rentals website indexing 1,152 vacation rentals websites covering 386 destinations.
- Vacation Rentals 411 offers a diverse selection of private vacation rental homes, condominiums, cabins, and villas around the world for rent by property owners.
- The Hospitality Club focuses on bringing people together from different cultures, and can help you find free accommodation around the world.