Planning a road trip or jaunt to the coast this weekend? Packing your sunglasses and bikini aren't your only considerations. You should also prepare with a few smart steps to keep your home safe while you're away. The last thing anyone wants to return home to after a vacation is a home that's been vandalized! Here are some easy ways to keep your house secure while you're having a fabulous time away.
- Set timers on lights when you’re away, so it looks as if your home is occupied.
- Close curtains so potential vandals can't get a peek inside at your goods.
- Keep lights on outside. Even better, install motion lights in places such as entryways, paths, and front gates, which can deter intruders.
- If you're away for longer than a few days, have a friend or neighbor pick up your mail, so it appears as if your home is occupied.
- Don't leave keys in "secret" places. Instead, leave a spare set of keys with a trusted neighbor, family member, or friend.
- Consider having a friend housesit. If your home has perks, it's often easy to get a friend to hang at your home and keep it safe while you're away. (I always lure potential housesitters with great stored cable shows on my DVR.)