Drip coffee makers should be cleaned monthly to keep your coffee tasting delicieux. This How To, which is pretty similar to my tip on cleaning a microwave, will get rid of hard water mineral deposits, oils left over from previous pots, and any impurities that infringe on your coffee's good taste. There's no reason to put up with anything less than perfection; making your coffee maker so fresh and so clean is a cinch. To learn how to clean up your caffeine fix,
- Remove and toss your coffee filter, if there's one in there.
- Fill the water reservoir with 1/4 vinegar, 3/4 water.
- Run the coffee maker.
- Turn it off and then leave it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with a new vinegar/water mixture.
- Run plain water through the coffee maker, and leave it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 6.
- Remember to clean again next month!