Skip Nav

How-To: Eliminate Mold in Your Home


Mold is not your friend. Being exposed to mold in your home can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems, and is very hazardous to your health. So, if you see it, or smell a musty odor in your digs, you need to remove it. Mold grows in moist areas, so anywhere you've had water leaks, flooding, or high humidity, especially bathrooms and kitchens, you're likely to have a problem. To learn how to eliminate mold in your home, read more.

  1. The first step is to remove the mold and clean the surfaces where you found it. To prevent inhalation, you should put on a mask or respirator before you begin, and also put on goggles, rubber gloves, and clothes you can wash immediately after.
    • You'll want to begin by misting the moldy areas or dampening them with a sponge; this will keep airborne particles to a minimum.
    • To remove mold from hard surfaces like counters, plastic, porcelain, glass, etc., you'll need to scrub them with a non-ammonia soap or detergent using a heavy duty sponge or a bristle brush.
    • If you find mold on any porous surfaces like paper, drywall, or carpeting/carpet padding, you'll need to discard them entirely, as mold cannot be removed completely from them. Sorry!
    • If you're working with a hard surface that's wood, scrubbing may not work entirely, so you should sand the surface down to remove the mold.
  2. The second step is to disinfect the affected area with either a bleach and water solution or another disinfectant. If the surface is clean, you can use 1/4 cup of bleach diluted in one gallon of water. If it's dirty, you should use more bleach.
  3. Let the disinfectant sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it with clean water.
  4. The last, and crucial step, is to dry it immediately (so no more mold grows!). Dry it with a cloth and then use a blow-dryer, fan, or dehumidifier to dry it thoroughly.
  5. Be sure to wash and dry your clothes and any rags that you used, and dispose of any other mess.
Latest Home