Trying to beat the heat this month? Good news: Your ceiling fan can help. While it won't help on the most brutally hot days, by reversing your ceiling fan's blade direction, you will be pushing cool air down, circulating it through the house. To find out how to do it,
- Shut off your ceiling fan, and make sure the wall switch is in the off position as well.
- Standing on a chair or stepstool, find the directional toggle switch.
- Flip the toggle switch into its opposite position until it clicks.
- Turn the fan on again.
- Check to see which direction the blades are spinning. For the Summer, the fan blades should spin counter-clockwise. If the fan's blades are running in the wrong direction (clockwise), then stop the fan again and reset the toggle switch.
- Can you feel a breeze while standing directly beneath the fan? Perfect. Then your fan is set for the Summer!