It's only sensible for a UC Santa Barbara mathematical sciences degree-holder turned interior designer to prize cost-effective design over frivolous luxury. Meet Tineke Triggs. In the short time since launching her full-service interior design company Artistic Designs For Living in 2002, she has already been recognized as the 2009 San Francisco Chronicle Baylist winner for Best Interior Designer, and placed on Western Interiors’s Gold List two years in a row. Talk about numbers! Well, actually, let's let Tineke talk. She's offered to share her 10 tips for designing your home in a down economy. To hear them,
- Paint. A coat of paint is an easy and inexpensive way to completely update or change the look and feel of any room. Try a bold color on an accent wall for minimal work with maximum impact!
- Wallpaper! This is not your mother’s wallpaper. Companies now make interesting, whimsical, sophisticated choices for every room in your home.
- Custom furniture? Yes! While it may sound pricey, having custom pieces made by local craftsmen can be a cost-effective choice in achieving one-of-a-kind design.
- Discount fabric stores. Finding less expensive furniture and customizing it with your own fabric from local discount fabric shops is always a smart choice.
- Mix and match. Mix lower-end furniture pieces with a few high-end pieces. Buying pre-made drapery and adding accents to it add a high-end and unique look.
- What’s old is new again! Refurbish older pieces to give them new life.
- A light bulb moment. Interesting lighting can completely change the look of a room.
- Pillows. Accent pillows provide homeowners with an inexpensive and easy way to spruce up a room.
- Beyond design. Look for a designer who can help manage a project who understands a remodel. This will ultimately save time, money, and frustration on any design project.
Artistic Designs For Living specializes in space planning, structural design, and concept-to-finish project management for kitchens, baths, and living spaces. Be sure to check out Tineke's portfolio online!