Kirstie Alley, a former interior designer, and Oprah have teamed up for a fun contest awarding one of Oprah's fans with a room in their home decorated by Alley herself. As proof of Alley's skills, there's a video interview with the actress on Oprah's site, asking what her biggest decorating dos and don'ts are. Aside from "holiday slipcovers" (you'll see), I'd say it sounds like she definitely knows what she's talking about. Here they are:
- One of my big decorating don'ts is, well, I hate faux finishes. So, I'm like, don't do the faux finish. If you want a finish that's legitimate and Italian, then do Venetian plaster — and have someone who knows what they're doing do it.
- The second one is nothing crafty. Don't decorate with ducks, k? No ducks, no . . . I don't know. I just can't go crafty.
- My primary thing with interior design is this: design your house in a way that in 30 years, you're gonna love it still. And it has a timeless quality. That doesn't mean you can't refresh things.
See two more of her dos and don'ts when you
- More than don'ts, my other do is if you've got children or animals, always slipcover. Always, always, always. And they're beautiful anyway. And then you can have a holiday slipcover and an everyday slipcover.
- This is the big don't: do not carpet bathrooms!