Last week's Open House dealt with unwelcome critters in your home. You responded with stories about squirrels, raccoons, bats, snakes, ladybugs — and even a deer that walked into a house on its own!
I've rounded up some advice on how to guard your house against future creature infestations. For my list of tips, just
- Seal your home properly by closing chimneys, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Repair holes or weak spots around your home where an animal could enter.
- Trim tree limbs six to eight feet from your house.
- Remove any fallen tree fruit.
- Animal feeders often attract more trouble than they're worth, so consider discontinuing their use around the house.
- Use 2 inch by 4-inch mesh wire over and around bird feeders to keep squirrels and rats out.
- Install one-way doors to allow animals to leave, but not to enter.
- Secure compost bins and trash containers with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring pet food containers indoors.