With an Autumn chill in the air, nothing is better than spending time by a beautiful fireplace, relaxing with friends, or a cup of hot tea. Too many times we see beautiful fireplaces that are being underutilized in homes, because they just haven't been updated for a while. If you want to heat things up in your home this Fall, here are some simple remodeling and decorating concepts to bring a fresh, updated look to a tired looking fireplace.
- Add glass doors. Installing a pair of glass doors will not only give your fireplace an elegant look, but they make it more energy efficient. The mesh doors and an iron partition work just fine, but if you're looking for some updated elegance, consider installing a pair of glass doors to your fireplace. If you're lucky enough to have a fireplace in your bathroom or kitchen, I think this technique brings a particularly chic vibe.
- Consider a raised stone hearth. There is nothing more charming or quaint than the image of getting up close and personal with a fireplace, sitting on a raised hearth. You can try it DIY style, but this is a pretty involved project that would be super easy for a contractor.
- Don't be afraid to paint brick. For years my heart would be in knots when I saw painted brick in a room. But, recently, I'm loving the look when it's painted the right way in a stark black or bright-white hue. If the brick is just too outdated, or the color doesn't work in the room, don't be afraid to switch things up and paint.
Keep reading for three more ways to update your fireplace.
- Retile or redesign. You may be dealing with older materials, or you may just have a fireplace design that doesn't fit in your updated room. Have no fear. Retiling is a simple way to transform the style of your fireplace, regardless of how it started out. If you're looking to update old tile with something fresh, recently we saw Secrets of a Stylist Emily Henderson do an awesome project of a concrete fireplace. I think this is a really interesting method to bring some modern flair to a room.
- Add a mantel. Adding a mantel is a very easy update that will bring a whole new sense of style to your fireplace. It outlines and delineates the space of the fireplace, allowing us to decorate it as we see fit.
- Make it a focal point. If your fireplace is playing small in a room, you may need to simply draw some more attention to it. Above the mantel, add a large mirror to make the fireplace a focal point of the room.
I've got to know: do you have any other awesome ideas or projects for updating a fireplace for Fall? Share below!