One Direction, beware — there are some other, more experienced boy bands in town. The New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, and 98 Degrees are returning to the stage. We have the scoop in this POPSUGAR Rush.
Mark Wahlberg joined his mother Alma Elaine Wahlberg, and his two brothers Donnie and Paul Wahlberg at the grand opening of their new hamburger restaurant, Wahlburgers, in Hingham, MA yesterday. The famous family has the perfect name for a burger joint, and Paul will serve as the chef at what is sure to be a hot spot in Beantown. Mark is currently between projects since being replaced by Bradley Cooper in David O.Russell's The Silver Lining Playbook, but Wahlberg does have a number of titles coming out in 2012. We were recently treated to the first trailer for Contraband, his upcoming heist movie, and he'll also show off his funny side opposite Mila Kunis in quirky comedy Ted. Mark is also enjoying the success of Boardwalk Empire, which he produces and is currently in the midst of its second season on HBO.
Donnie and Mark Wahlberg, along with their brother Paul, will soon be the new kids on the burger block with their forthcoming eatery, appropriately named Wahlburgers. On Wednesday, Donnie — who told Rachael Ray his idea of cooking was "cooking toast, cereal, and microwave popcorn" — learned to cook porcini steaks with Ray on her daytime TV show, only to find his surprise taste tester was none other than his chef brother, Paul! Keep watching to learn more about the Hingham, MA burger joint.
What it's about: The Reagans have served the NYPD for multiple generations: grandfather Henry (Len Cariou) was the chief of police, his son Frank (Tom Selleck) is currently in the job, and Frank's children Danny (Donnie Wahlberg) and Erin (Bridget Moynahan) also maintain law and order (as a detective and an assistant D.A., respectively). Now, the youngest of the household, Jamie (Will Estes), is being welcomed into the fold, having just graduated from the police academy. The family members butt heads, but ultimately try to help each other out when it comes to solving a hard-to-crack case.
Where it works: The show has the same writing team as The Sopranos, so what more do you need? I don't care much about the actual episode-to-episode police cases — that's why you have every other procedural drama on television — but the family relationships here really hit a nice chord. The pilot sets up who each Reagan is (without giving away too much), and a surprise twist with a police conspiracy should keep viewers invested beyond just the first few weeks.
Where it doesn't: A couple of the characters feel clichéd, specifically Danny, who is the hot-tempered cop that's not afraid to take drastic measures for justice. He has a sweeter, family-man side to help round him out, but I still feel like we've seen this over-the-top type before.
Am I hooked? Definitely. I enjoy seeing the family interact (not to mention, Estes is nice to look at), and the pilot sets up enough suspense that I'm already dying to see the second episode.
To see a promo and more photos, just read more
- Who's in it: Tom Selleck, Bridget Moynahan, Donnie Wahlberg, and Will Estes, who I still have a crush on from Reunion (RIP).
- What it's about: Selleck plays Frank Reagan, New York City's Chief of Police and father to two sons who also wear the uniform, Danny (Wahlberg) and Jamie (Estes); daughter Erin (Moynahan) serves as N.Y. assistant D.A. The show depicts the close-knit family at home and working on the streets, as they try to help each other solve the latest case.
- Why it caught my attention: Think Brothers and Sisters meets NYPD Blue. I don't usually get absorbed in cop shows, but I like that this one has a personal element with the family. Plus, it has the writers from The Sopranos behind it for instant cred.
- Show most likely to: Show grown men crying.
Watch the promo when you read more
- Christina Applegate is now 100 percent cancer-free after undergoing a double mastectomy for her breast cancer three weeks ago. She will have breast reconstruction surgery over the next eight months. — GMA
- Both Donnie Wahlberg and his wife, Kim Fey, filed for divorce on Aug. 14, citing irreconcilable differences. Kim is seeking sole custody of their two sons with visitation rights for Donnie. — People
- Chris Kattan and his wife, Sunshine Tutt, are currently separated after getting married on June 28. — Life & Style
- Real World's Beth Stolarczyk married Matt Ciriello on Aug. 9 in Santa Monica; the couple are expecting a baby. — Us Weekly
- The Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party is trying to get Avril Lavigne's Aug. 29 concert in Kuala Lumpur canceled because they think her stage act is "too sexy." — AP
- Flight of the Conchords's Jemaine Clement married his girlfriend Miranda Manasiadis in Los Angeles. — TVNZ
The New Kids on the Block are officially back in action, and to gear up for their reunion tour they stopped by the Today show to perform some of their biggest hits of the '80s and '90s. So far you guys have been all for the NKOTB reunion, from their tour to their new single, so check out the video below and tell us what you think — awesome or embarrassing?
Awesomely, a teaser trailer has arrived for the highly anticipated crime thriller Righteous Kill, which has brought together Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino for the first time since they starred together in Heat (1995). Both men look grizzled and tired, which works quite well for the weathered old cops they're portraying. The two are veteran NYC policemen trying to hunt down a serial killer who targets recently acquitted criminals. Though it's just a teaser trailer, it's still totally exciting to see these two powerhouses onscreen together. Righteous Kill is scheduled to open September 12. To check out the teaser, read more
They may not have been able to score tickets to the big game, but I'm sure the lucky folks at the Victoria's Secret What Is Sexy Party at Super Bowl XLII in Scottsdale, Ariz., had a blast anyway. Grey's ladies Katherine Heigl and Kate Walsh enjoyed each other on the red carpet, where the new Mrs. Josh Kelley really sexed it up in that red number. I guess Katherine and Josh weren't named Sexiest Newlyweds (not to mention her most desirable status) for nothing. Of course, it wouldn't be a VS party without some Angels, who didn't show any team alliances (or with their former fellow-winged-one Gisele) in their LBDs. Blake Lively also kept it simple in black with her cute red shoes —not really standard Super Bowl party attire, but when you're doing it Victoria's Secret style I guess the T-shirt and jeans doesn't really cut it.
To see more from the party including Ryan Seacrest, Stacy Keibler, LL Cool J, Donnie Wahlberg, Benji Madden, Brody Jenner, Frankie Delgado and others just read more
For me, the countdown to Bourne is officially here! In less than one month Jason remembers. Buzz just posted the latest trailer and it's amazing. As if we weren't already getting our Affleck-Damon fix this summer with all those surfing pics, we now get the boys back in their old element - Vegas baby. Matt used to play the role in Rounders and Ben used to play professionally. The duo were there to raise money for the Enough Project and the International Rescue Committee which both provide help for survivors of the crisis in Darfur. Other celebs betting for good included Don Cheadle, Adam Sandler and David Spade.
Apparently Matty was knocked out early but Ben held his own. However, he said he has better things to do these days than play poker. Ben told People, "I've got a kid [daughter Violet, 2] and I'm directing movies. I have hardly any time now. Poker takes a lot of time if you want to stay good. I don't want to suck. I was good. I'm still good. Family is better though." Clearly this man is in a happy marriage and in love with the women in his life. This Ben is much better than the drinking, gambling bachelor from back in the day.
For tons more pictures of Matt, Ben, Don, Kevin James, Martin Sheen, Hank Azaria and more just read more