Reba McEntire's return to TV last week on Malibu Country was a ratings hit for ABC. On her new sitcom, Reba plays a country singer who heads from Nashville to Malibu after finding out her more famous husband has cheated. The show is rounded out by a supporting cast including the legendary Lily Tomlin and Queer Eye For the Straight Guy alum Jai Rodriguez. We caught up with Reba and the rest of the cast recently to talk about the fish-out-of water premise and their mutual admiration for each other. Check out our interviews, and catch Malibu Country when it airs tonight at 8:30/7:30 Central.
Five years after her eponymous sitcom went off the air, Reba McEntire is returning to prime time with fish-out-of-water comedy Malibu Country. Though McEntire maintains that Malibu Country is not the same show as Reba, her new endeavor has more than a few thematic similarities to her former show. This time around she plays the matron of a Nashville family who has relocated her clan to Malibu following some, er, indiscretions on her soon-to-be-ex-husband's part.
- What it's about: Reba's character, also named Reba (I'm beginning to assume this is a contractual clause), leaves her country music star husband after he cheats on her and his affair goes public. She packs up her mother (Lily Tomlin) and her two kids (Juliette Angelo and Justin Prentice) and heads to Malibu for a fresh start. Once there, she discovers a number of glaring discrepancies between Nashville and Southern California.
- Where it works: Lily Tomlin is wonderfully brash as Reba's mother, at least until the material has her turning into a pot-smoking granny. She's funny, even when the writing is not.
- Where it doesn't: Oh, let me count the ways. There are so many Golden State clichés packed into the pilot that I'd be surprised if they have any wacky tropes left for episode two. The show doesn't bring anything new to the table, because it is just like Reba, right down to the brazen airhead (Sara Rue) living next door to shake things up.
- When it's on: Fridays at 8:30 p.m. on ABC.
- You might like this show if: You're ready to bring TGIF back, complete with '90s-style sitcoms.
Malibu Country premieres on Nov. 2, but you can see pictures from the show and watch a preview when you read more
Blond hair ruled on the red carpet at last night's CMT Music Awards in Nashville. Taylor Swift mixed things up with a slightly edgier look than we're used to from her, straightening out those trademark curls. Carrie Underwood stood out in pink as both country princesses headed in to see what would come of their three nominations apiece. Brand-new mom of two Sheryl Crow displayed her rocking legs, which had an especially nice glow after her recent bikinis Bahamas vacation with her son Wyatt. Faith Hill was glamorous as ever while Hayden Panettiere showed some skin in her lacy cutout dress.
Kid Rock played host for the award show and kept things light with a Kanye West joke to kick things off. Keith Urban, Miranda Lambert, and Carrie Underwood were the big winners — check out the whole list here. Keith gave a heartfelt thank you to his wife Nicole Kidman who skipped the red carpet but was supporting him all night long from her seat. Carrie planted a kiss on her fiancé Mike Fisher and later made a speech that included an emphatic "Awesome fans! Awesome, awesome, amazing, awesome, awesome!" Keith also performed with John Mayer, for which the guys spent the day practicing. Mayer's mystery illness didn't slow down his sense of humor as he flashed his abs to compare with Jersey Shore's The Situation, who was of course there with a few of his castmates. Carrie and Brad Paisley were among the evening's other musical acts as the country world gathered together to celebrate their genre and Nashville in the wake of the city's recent tragic flood.
To see more photos from the red carpet and the show, just read more!
Katy Perry, Snoop Dogg, Taylor Swift, Snooki, and Paris Hilton in This Week's Fun and Funny Celebrity Twitter Photos!
Twitter was all aflutter this week with celebrities sharing adorable photos of their furry friends and behind the scenes from the MTV Movie Awards. Taylor Swift proudly wore the number thirteen for a performance while "California Gurls" duo Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg shared endearing moments. Paris Hilton was so excited to run into the Jersey Shore cast at the MTV Movie Awards she immediate shared it with fans. Click through to see all the shots, and don't forget to follow us on Twitter for exciting news and exclusive photos!
The 2009 American Music Awards descended on the Nokia Theatre in LA last night, which meant a star studded red carpet before the big show. It was a pleasant mixture of long and short dresses on all the ladies, though some even found a way to do both simultaneously like Rihanna in her cutout gown. Carrie Underwood has the early lead in Fab's best dressed poll, but Rih is close behind. Alicia Keys stood out in blue while Fergie's high slit meant she showed off some leg as she posed. Nicole Kidman spent most of her red carpet time on the arm of her husband Keith Urban — speaking of which, check out all the guys here.
Shakira and Selena Gomez cozied up for the cameras in their standout short dresses while Demi Lovato sported some bling around her neck. Paula Abdul went all out in her black gown and Carrie Underwood kept it simple and sweet. Find out how to get some of our favorite red carpet looks like Selena and Demi here. Don't forget to vote in all of Fab and Bella's love it or leave it polls, see the full list of winners and stay tuned for more AMA coverage coming up!
Last night we gave you a taste of the CMA Awards, and now here's the whole set! For the younger women, it was all about the shine on the red carpet from Taylor Swift's typical beautiful sparkly gown to Carrie Underwood's mirrored number. Carrie was one of the hosts of the night along with Brad Paisley, so once she stepped inside it was all about the costume changes for her. Nicole Kidman had nothing but love for her husband Keith Urban, who was a nominee. Faith Hill and Tim McGraw always look classic together and this was no exception.
Taylor kicked off the show with a wild performance of "Forever and Always" where she threw around her long blond hair as she sang. There were no semi-subtle kisses for Taylor Lautner this time, but the two have a lot to celebrate next time they see each other — she won the biggest award of the night, Entertainer of the Year! She also won for female vocalist of the year, album of the year and music video of the year for "Love Story." Carrie Underwood walked away empty handed, but she and Brad Paisley did a great job hosting the show which included a few jokes at the expense of Kanye West. Kid Rock and Dave Matthews Band were also among the performers at the fun country-filled award show.
For TONS more photos from the CMA Awards just read more
Neil Patrick Harris played captain at last night's TV Land Awards in LA, bringing together stars for yet another night to celebrate classic television. Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell were just two of the comedic actors who helped liven up the evening along with stars like Teri Hatcher, who also made time to attend Saturday's attending the GLAAD Awards. Matthew McConaughey wore his award show uniform after spending Saturday promoting Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with Jennifer Garner, joking with the press about marriage and raising kids in Hollywood. The awards show won't air until April 26, but it looks like it has the potential for a lot of laughs with the fun group of celebrities who attended.
Last night Kenny Chesney was declared the Entertainer of the Year for the fourth year in a row at the 43rd Annual Academy of Country Music Awards in Vegas. Garth Brooks was also back in the limelight to receive the first-ever Crystal Milestone Award for his outstanding achievements. Performer Keith Urban didn't need a trophy to make him gush. The father-to-be expressed his excitement showing off Nicole's growing baby bump on the red carpet. Top new female vocalist, Taylor Swift got real wet with a chilling performance of "Should've Said No" where she was singing and dancing while water poured down on her. Winner for best female vocalist Carrie Underwood not only looked gorgeous in her many outfits, but she also showed her chic geeky side playing with the hottest new toy she plays on her tour bus - I gotta get me one of those.
For images of the performances from Taylor, Carrie, Kenny and more as well as lots of red carpet beauties, just read more
Last night's Country Music Television Awards were more about glamor than sequins, but there was certainly still a lot of glitz and fun in the Nashville night. Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus hosted the evening which included a lot of costume changes for the starlet. Adorable little Taylor Swift took home Video of the Year and Female Video of the Year, while Kellie Pickler (really!? She didn't even show!) took home three statues, the most of the night. Taylor spent much of the night barefoot saying, "I walked by Faith Hill and I was like, 'This hurts so bad.' And she was like, 'Take them off,' Faith Hill told me to. So I did it." She's pretty precious and speaking of that, kinda love Carrie Underwood who closed out the show with "American Girl." Check out the full list of winners here.
To see more from the show including Bobby Brown, Brad Paisley, Brooks & Dunn, Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney and others just read more
- The James McAvoy-Angelina Jolie action flick Wanted has moved release dates from March to June 27, writes ComingSoon.
- Johnny Depp will star in a Depression-era crime drama titled Public Enemies, Variety reports.
- Some scheduling notes: Fox has renewed Don't Forget the Lyrics, writes Zap2it; Medium is headed to Monday nights, according to Variety; and The Futon Critic says ABC will start airing a tournament-style game show called The Duel.
- A group of documentary directors will team up to make a documentary based on the bestselling book Freakonomics, writes Variety.
- According to Hollywood Reporter, Zach Gilford will star opposite Alexis Bledel in the comedy The Post-Grad Survival Guide.
- Reuters has the news that Michelle Williams will play the wife of Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Scorsese's film Shutter Island.
- ComingSoon reports that five more actors have joined the cast of Judd Apatow's next comedy Year One, including David Cross and Christopher Mintz-Plasse.
- Want Reba McEntire's Valentine's Day album? You'll have to buy it at Hallmark, Billboard reports.
- Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson will star together in a wedding-themed comedy Bride Wars, according to Zap2It.