PaleyFest is an occasion where the top names in television unite to celebrate a season well done. While they're generally out of character for the events, a variety of your favorite small-screen stars show off their natural beauty — and even offer scoops on their story lines for next year. Zoom in on top red-carpet hair and makeup moments when you click through.
Last night, the cast of New Girl joined forces for the comedy's PaleyFest panel, where they spilled lots of intel on what's to come throughout the rest of the season. Zooey Deschanel, Hannah Simone, Jake Johnson, Lamorne Morris, and Max Greenfield were all in attendance, as was show creator Liz Meriwether. They presented a sneak peek at next week's episode, which features Jess spilling her guts — unintentionally — to Nick while she's on pain pills. We also learned about a dramatic episode ahead that will spell a bit of a departure for the show and the return of some familiar faces. Check out some of the highlights, but be warned: there are some spoilers ahead!
- On the last-minute nature of Nick and Jess's kiss: Liz and producers said that they've struggled a lot with how to handle Nick and Jess's sexual tension. In fact, Zooey said, the kiss between them was a last-minute addition to the episode, pitched just a few days before it was shot. Jake added: "I think that episode was really well written." He also said he wanted the kiss to happen for a long time!
- On Cece and Schmidt's future: The moderator suggested that Cece and Schmidt are going through a bit of a "rocky patch" after the last episode's proposal. "She's engaged to another man and you call that a bit of a rocky patch? You are a hopeful man," Hannah joked. Max also weighed in: "I really think what we start to do with them is that we realize that both these characters needed to grow up themselves before they could be together. And I think, especially on Schmidt's end, there's a lot of room."
- On moving the show to Chicago for a new episode: "Nick's father passes away," producer Dave Finkel revealed, and the roommates head to Illinois for the funeral. "We're really fortunate that the cast of people are really great comedy actors, but also very good actors, so every now and then we allow ourselves to do something that gets into a little deeper territory than the average sitcom."
- On whether we'll ever learn Schmidt's first name: The producers said they almost revealed Schmidt's name on the last season of the show and had even written it into the script, but decided to cut it out — they wouldn't reveal it to the audience last night. "I like Schmidt. I don't ever want to know what it is," Max said. Jake added: "It's like Cher. It's Schmidt."
To read more about New Girl's future and behind-the-scenes secrets, just keep reading.
Zooey Deschanel got some support from her New Girl costars when the cast attended PaleyFest in LA yesterday. We got a chance to talk to Max Greenfield, who gave us a teaser about his character Schmidt's new love interest and what's in the stars for his relationship with the now-engaged Cece. He said, "I don't know, I really don't know what's happening. We kinda go episode by episode and I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that Cece is doing her thing."
Now that New Girl is preparing to go on hiatus, Zooey has another project on her plate — a new album and a Summer tour with her band, She & Him. She recently released a new single, "Never Wanted Your Love," which features Zooey's trademark vocals over bandmate M. Ward's music. She & Him's tour will kick off on June 13 and last through July 11.
We caught up with Schmidt himself, Max Greenfield, tonight at New Girl's PaleyFest event to get the scoop on what's ahead for his character's love life in the wake of CeCe's engagement. Max also talked about an upcoming episode of the show that will take the cast to Chicago and why he hopes it's a long time before we learn Schmidt's first name.
Lamorne Morris's Winston has not had the best romantic luck lately on New Girl, and when we talked to him at tonight's PaleyFest event for the show, he said we'll get more insight into all the main characters' love lives in an upcoming episode. Lamorne said the flashback-heavy installment of the comedy will tell "origin" stories about the main characters' first times. He also made a plea to one pro athlete he hopes will appear on the show in the future.
Hannah Simone's character Cece had a major life moment on the last episode of New Girl — she accepted a proposal! We spoke with Hannah tonight at the New Girl PaleyFest event, where she told us she thinks Cece will remain engaged and weighed in on her own crazy roommate experiences. She also gave us some advice on scoring perfect bangs like her and her costar Zooey Deschanel.
Jake Johnson headed back from South by Southwest this week just in time to join his castmates at New Girl's PaleyFest panel tonight. The actor talked to us about premiering his new movie, Drinking Buddies, in Austin and what it has in common with his TV show. He also told us he was surprised by the Nick and Jess kiss earlier this season but had wanted it to happen "for a long time," and shared his own advice for making male-female friendships successful.
In today's lead story out of Los Angeles, stars Hayden Panettiere, Connie Britton, and Mindy Kaling all spoke with us on the PaleyFest red carpet, and you'll never believe who Hayden wants as a guest star on Nashville.
PaleyFest hosted a red carpet and panel discussion with the cast of Nashville at the Saban Theatre yesterday in LA, and we were on hand to chat with the stars of the drama. The show returns to the airwaves on March 27, and the cast gave us some clues about what to expect from the show's many romantic entanglements. They also weighed in on what they've heard about the show getting picked up for a second season and the rumors of a Nashville concert tour. We also got the scoop on a few famous faces who will be appearing on the series before this season comes to a close. Here are some highlights:
- It was recently announced that The O.C. alum Chris Carmack will be joining the cast as Scarlett's new neighbor. While Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio were both mum on whether his arrival will spell trouble for their relationship, Sam did say that his brother's death will create some tension between them. "It's gonna be hard," Sam told us. "He ends up taking it out on Scarlett a little bit."
- The cast wouldn't confirm or deny the possibility of a future Nashville concert tour. During the panel, Charles Estes said, "I know there’s talk about it, but it’s in vague stages . . . but there’s nothing very concrete about it.”
- Connie Britton told us she is all for things between Deacon and Rayna heating up. "Oh, I'm pro. I'm pro all of it," she told us on the red carpet. "I love Deacon and Rayna together."
- The series has already had some famous faces from the music world stop by, and there are clearly more to come. Clare told us she's been working with Vince Gill and would love to see Dolly Parton on a future episode. Meanwhile, Hayden Panettiere joked with us that she'd like to see Diddy and Juliette do a duet.
Sam Palladio's Nashville character, Gunnar Scott, suffered a big loss on the last episode of the show. When we caught up with Sam at PaleyFest yesterday, he told us Gunnar has a rocky road ahead as he copes with the change. We also asked how the death of Gunnar's brother — and a new character who strikes up a friendship with Scarlett — might impact Gunnar and Scarlett's romance.