Is it possible to read anything that doesn't belabor the economy today? Nope. Not even here! But I've had it with the apocalyptic news and found 10 things that more than make do in a recession. Besides, someone other than alcohol and cigarette companies needs to profit, right?
So who looks up when money is down?
- Movies: Ticket sales are up 17.5 percent this year.
- Environment: Afford not, waste not.
- Dating: Some of you said the rise in dating was just gold digging, but banker girlfriends say there's no pot.
- Music: Finally! The music industry is not complaining.
- European vacations: The euro and the pound still may be worth more than the dollar, but conversion rates are translating much better.
- Psychics: Uncertain times call for uncertain methods of inquiry.
- Entrepreneurs: It's a great time to have money!
- Education: Graduate school is a time-honored way to weather a recession.
- Careers: Short-staffed companies have opportunities for eager employees. Not applicable? See above.
- Life: No, really. Death rates drop as unemployment rises.