Editor's note: The following is a guest post written by Jodi Lipper and Cerina Vincent, authors of How to Eat Like a Hot Chick, How to Love Like a Hot Chick, and the upcoming Live Like a Hot Chick. Today they're sharing their secrets to success. Don't forget to enter our Hot Chick giveaway to win $200 to Bliss Spa and a set of their books
- They know what they want, know they deserve it, and are not afraid to put in the time and work necessary to get it.
- THEY DON’T SEND WORK EMAILS IN ALL CAPS. They know it just makes people mad and gives everyone reading it a massive headache. They also don't over-use abbreviations like OMG, LOL, or WTF because they don't want to sound like hyper tween.
- They always dress appropriately for work, which means no flip-flops, tube tops, or body glitter (unless, of course, they are successful at a job that calls for such a wardrobe).
- They stick to a budget and actually live within their means — that means not shopping like Carrie Bradshaw if you have the salary of a real-life journalist.
- Instead of wasting hours every week engaging in nasty office gossip, they spend that time actually doing their job.
- They ask for what they want. If it’s time for a raise, a promotion, or an assistant, they are not afraid to say what they need in a respectful, professional way.
To see the rest, keep reading
- They don’t say that their grandmother died when they’re really drinking pina coladas on the beach, with or without grandma in the next lounge chair.
- They are organized and keep an updated calendar, to do list, and filing system so that they never miss a meeting, a deadline, or a birth control pill.
- They don’t forward ridiculous, jokey emails at work! This is the equivalent of sending an email that says, “Right now I am wasting your money by sending stupid, frivolous emails instead of doing the job that you’re paying me to do.”
- They know that their personal lives are just as important as their work lives and work hard to find balance between the two, whether it means turning the BlackBerry off after 7, taking a day off to spend time with a girlfriend, or taking a “mental health day” once a month.