Today the definitive tome added 39 words to its collection. Some seem right on (vuvuzela) while others sound like they've been stuck in the word-hopeful pile for years (wardrobe malfunction, buzzkill, chill pill), and most are sure to create controversy among people who get upset about words.
Here are 10 useful and ridiculous ones to know.
- Catastrophizing: view or present a situation as considerably worse than it actually is.
- Overthink: think about (something) too much or for too long.
- Matchy-matchy: excessively color coordinated.
- LBD: little black dress
- Frenemy: a person with whom one is friendly despite a fundamental dislike or rivalry.
- Cool hunter: a person whose job it is to make observations or predictions about new styles and trends.
- Bromance: a close but nonsexual relationship between two men.
- Exit strategy: a preplanned means of extricating oneself from a situation.
- Defriend: another term for unfriend (remove someone from a list of friends or contacts on a social networking site).
- Soft skills: personal attributes that enable someone to interact effectively and harmoniously with other people.