On last night's The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love, commercial pilot and last season loser Jake Pavelka attempted to find his soul mate among 25 women. Between the "landing strip" jokes, absurd statements, and premature tears (it's the first episode!) I did manage to take away five lessons.
- The fact that you can afford your own home in Texas does not mean you can afford clothes. During the first 10 minutes Jake rarely wears a shirt, showing off his muscles while he's at home in Dallas or running on the beach in LA. His body is hot though.
- There is an adult prom dress market. Practically every woman was wearing a shiny Jessica McClintock type dress.
- Soft lighting doesn't hide the crazy. Examples: one bachelorette gave Jake her son's favorite toy airplane, while another woman brought him dirt as a present to symbolize their "common ground."
- Gimmicks work. Bachelorette Ashley put on a sexy flight attendant costume (in the clip above) and caught pilot Jake's attention long enough to not be eliminated in the first round. If you have to stand out among 25 women, a gimmick can't hurt.
- Nice guys might not finish last. If Jake, who seems genuine about wanting to settle down, can find his match among these women, then more power to him.
Did you tune in last night?