Editor's note: The following is a guest post written by Jodi Lipper and Cerina Vincent, authors of How to Eat Like a Hot Chick, How to Love Like a Hot Chick, and the just-released Live Like a Hot Chick. Today they're giving us tips for balancing work and fun.
- Save Fun Foods for Playtime: Avoid toxic vending machine fare during working hours and save those calories for martinis and appetizers at happy hour with your friends.
- Separate Your Emails: We know how easy it is to jot a quick note to your man or one of your friends from your work account, but please resist. Your company has the right to monitor all emails sent from their server, so don’t use it to send your boyfriend a picture of your thong. Likewise, don’t “call in” sick to your boss from ImAhottie4eva@hotmail.com or Iknowhow2yahoo@yahoo.com or risk being judged and ridiculed.
- Color-Code Your Calendar: Use one beautifully organized calendar for all work and play obligations, and then color-code them as such. Use one color for personal events and other for work meetings and everything will be together yet separate.
- Vent After Hours: It’s great to be friendly or even friends with your colleagues, but remember that they’re your colleagues first and friends a distant second. Choose other friends to vent to about your bitchy boss or incompetent CEO. It might not be as much fun because they won’t care as much, but trust us when we say that you don’t want them to.
- Fit in Fun: Most of us work straight through lunch or inhale something mindlessly at our desks, but it’s important to take a break during the long workday. If you have a friend who works nearby, set a strict weekly lunch date. If you can’t take a full hour break, take ten minutes to walk around the block, window shop, or treat yourself to something you enjoy, whether it’s a small piece of chocolate, a fresh-squeezed lemonade or a quick chat with a friend. Little indulgences go a long way in making the day seem shorter.