Skip Nav
The 1 Thing Women Find Irresistible in a Man
Life, Men, and Love: 26 Pieces of Advice From My Dad That All Women Should Hear
33 of the Most Romantic Love Songs of 2017

Age and Orgasms

Do Older Women Have More Orgasms or Lower Expectations?

A new study reveals sex complaints change with age. Most younger women, between 18-30, list not being able to orgasm as their number-one gripe, while women over 30 say it's lack of desire.

Desire seems like a prerequisite for an orgasm, so could it just be that older women have lower — or more realistic — expectations. Partially. Only 30 percent of women actually do orgasm from sex, so more sexually experienced women are likely to know what works, and doesn't, for them.

But while older women have fewer sexual thoughts and fantasies, more lubrication problems, and less overall sexual satisfaction, they do have more orgasms. Unlike men, women have to learn to orgasm — and that can take years to sort out.

Around The Web
Join The Conversation
Bettye-Wayne Bettye-Wayne 6 years
I guess it depends on what you mean by 'sex,' by penetration alone, most women don't, but to me, sex is a hell of a lot more than penetration. Anon 3 it's unfortunate that you're perpetuating the myth that the key to making every woman orgasm is the g-spot.
Pistil Pistil 6 years
I thought it was pretty common not to orgasm through sex. Otherwise all I'd need is someone with a good jackhammer technique.
postmodernsleaze postmodernsleaze 6 years
I think confidence has a lot to do with the more satisfying sex lives of older women. They know what they want, say what they want, and are more confident and accepting of their bodies (you know, actually enjoying sex rather than obsessing over what might be jiggling and then missing out on the whole experience). I hear a lot of women in their 30s/40s say they are much more sure of themselves and confident. But I have to agree with Betty Wayne... only 30% orgasm? That means 70% of women are having unsatisfying sex?
Bettye-Wayne Bettye-Wayne 6 years
That puzzles me, that 30% statistic. What are the other 70% even having sex for then? Somehow I don't think that's accurate. Anyway, it did take me a while to learn what I like in bed, but by my early 20s I was orgasming nearly every time. I guess I'm not old enough to answer this question.
What Can You Eat During Labor?
Having a Baby in Your 30s Increases Child's Intelligence
Study Proves Reading Harry Potter Reduces Prejudice
Jobs With Less Demand in 2016
Does Music Make Sex Better?
Shaving Pubic Hairs Linked to STIs
Divorce Rates at a 40-Year Low in 2015

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Love
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds