Long live the
tabloid queen of Egypt. Today we learned that Angelina Jolie could play Cleopatra in a new movie based on an upcoming biography of the famous and infamous historical heroine.
Aside from the fact that Cleopatra may not have actually been the beauty she's often depicted as, Jolie seems like a good choice for the part. The two women have more in common than a fondness for dark eyeliner and statement earrings. Here are five facts that might surprise you.
- Both had questionable liaisons with their brothers. Angelina stirred up controversy for her affectionate kiss with her brother, James Haven, at the 2000 Oscars. Still, that's nothing compared to Cleopatra, who was forced to marry her younger brother Ptolemy XII and, when he died, her even younger brother, Ptolemy XIII.
- Both were part of a power couple. While stuck in her second sibling marriage, Cleopatra had an affair with Roman emperor Julius Caesar. When he died, she married Marc Antony, in what was thought to be a power play. I wonder if they had a ridiculous couple name like Brangelina? Cleotony?
Three more fun facts after the jump.
- Both had connections in Africa. Cleopatra, obviously, hailed from Egypt. Angelina adopted daughter Zahara from Ethiopia and frequently travels to Africa as a UN Goodwill Ambassador.
- Cleo and Angelina both birthed fraternal twins. Before Knox and Vivienne, there were Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene, Cleopatra's twins by Marc Antony.
- Each has a reputation as a seductress. Will the world ever stop talking about the Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt/Jennifer Aniston love triangle? Considering we're still talking about Cleopatra and Marc Antony, probably not.