This law may sound a little more than a tad dated, but it's not just the case in Florida. In the US, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia, and West Virginia all have laws against the cohabitation of males and females, deeming the behavior as "lewd and lascivious."
According to the Sun-Sentinel, steps have been taken by Republican Rep. Ritch Workman to repeal Florida laws he finds outdated. Times have changed, and it seems like the government should keep up. But some conservatives have different ideas on what is deemed appropriate. In response to the action toward repeal, Rep. Dennis Baxley, of Ocala, FL, who previously headed the Florida chapter of the Christian Coalition said, "I'm not ready to give up on monogamy and a cultural statement that marriage still matters."
This isn't the only legislation that needs to catch up with the times. Here are some more of our favorite outdated laws:
- In Iowa, a man with a mustache may not kiss a woman.
- In Detroit, MI, couples are not allowed to make love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
- In Idaho, nonmarried couples who engage in sexual intercourse can be jailed for up to six months.
- In Raleigh, NC, before a man asks for a woman's hand in marriage, he must be "inspected by all the barnyard animals on the young woman's family's property to ensure a harmonious farm life."
- In Carmel, CA, women may not wear high heels while in the city limits without a permit.
Are there any other crazy laws you can't believe are still on the books? Share below!