We're happy to present this excerpt from one of our favorite sites, YourTango.Every now and then, science does us a favor and sheds some much-needed light on the differences between men and women. Given the number of misconceptions there are about love, a group of psychologists took it upon themselves to review existing research and debunk six sex and gender myths most of us believe, although we shouldn't.
- Girls want status, guys want boobs." Au contraire! According to University of Michigan psychologist Teri Conley, "when the object of one's potential affection shifted from ideal to actual, gender differences in preferred qualities of partners disappeared." So, in reality, both genders are equally shallow. Yay!
- "Men want to sleep with more people than women do." Sorry Wilt Chamberlain, but guys don't really want to follow in your footsteps. In fact, despite how much men may claim they want to be "studs," they really desire the same number of partners a woman does: one.
- "Men think about sex constantly, while ladies think about weddings." Well, men do think about sex more, but it's only because, scientists say, they're more attentive to their own needs than us. Women, on the other hand, are socialized to be more attentive to the needs of others, thus we think about our own desires less.
Written by Stephanie Castillo for YourTango.
More from YourTango:
- Should You Sleep With Him On The First Date?
- How Perfectionism Ruins Your Relationships
- The Ultimate Internet Sex Site For Couples — Period!
Image Source: Thinkstock