It’s easy to get that first-day-of-school nervousness all over again when you’re in a room full of unfamiliar women who all seem to know each other, which always seems to be the case when it comes to wedding celebrations like bridal showers and bachelorette parties. But breaking the ice one-liners aren’t just for the dating scene. I’ve come up with some first lines for getting the convo started on other occasions, too. To see them and add your own,
- ”Hi. I’m DearSugar.” Probably the most direct and least used, it's just a basic introduction of yourself. It seems intimidating, but most people are receptive to a simple “hello.”
- ”How do you know the bride [or host]?” This is a great intro that opens up the door for all sorts of conversation.
- ”What do you think of the party?” It might sound cheesy, but asking such a simple question is actually an extremely easy way to make an introduction or carry on a conversation. Plus, if you're both having a miserable time, there's no better way to bond!
- "Where are you from?" Even the most humble of us enjoy talking about ourselves every once and a while, and this is a great way to give someone the opportunity to.
- ”I’m the same way” or “I completely agree.” If you hear someone talking about something that you connect with, chime in. Women love to know that they’re surrounded by like-minded people.
- ”I love your blouse.” The compliment may seem a bit cliché, but there’s a reason why it’s an old standby — it works! A few words later, and you can segue into a more interesting topic.
These are just a few of many, and admittedly, they're playing it safe. But if you feel more daring, go for it and skip the awkward conversation starters all together. I know I’m leaving some out, so let me ask all of you: what lines do you use when trying to get to know other women?