#firstworldproblems: The guy you're dating complains that your Twitter feed makes you sound single. But how are you supposed to behave in that interlude between casually dating and making it official? Our social media behavior says a lot about what relationship stage we are in. But as this Funny or Die video video proves, following each other Instagram does not necessarily equal an exclusive relationship.
Each stage of a relationship has distinct social-media signposts. Here's how to know where you stand:
Casually Dating, but Pretty Into Each Other
- He sends you a friend request on Facebook.
- She starts following you on Instagram or Twitter.
- You invite each other to parties via Facebook.
- He favorites a tweet.
- You "like" each other's profile photos on Facebook.
Heading Toward Coupledom
- He replies to your tweets.
- She comments on your status updates.
- You tag each other on Facebook or Instagram.
- She starts asking questions like "So, who is Julie?"
- He posts Facebook status updates that are clearly meant just for you.
- He wishes you a happy birthday.
It's Totally On
- He sends a friend request to your mom.
- He posts a status update wishing you a happy birthday.
- She posts stuff on your Facebook wall that "reminds her of you."
- She posts photos of the two of you together.
- You both change your relationship status.