In July's issue of O Magazine, the stunning Ellen Barkin dishes about life as a 53 year old woman -- can we all agree that she looks amazing ? She says she feels more comfortable at 53 than she did at 35, admitting that she would rather discover herself at this age than in her earlier years, a feeling many women share.
By following these 10 simple rules, Ellen proves that 50 is the new 40:
- Don't wear your hair longer than to your collarbone
- No red lipstick, unless you have dark or olive skin. It's aging
- No blue jeans to dinner out. (But black jeans are okay)
- Don't expose your knees. And cover up. Don't try to compete with 20-year-olds. A woman between 40 and forever looks great because she has style, not because she shows off her body
- Don't ever wear anything strapless
- But at the beach, if you have a toned body, rock that bikini for as long as you like
- No miniskirts. A short skirt is okay with black tights
- Don't ever revisit a trend you lived through once before
- Don't wear hats, except to keep the sun off your face. A hat makes you look as if you're trying to get noticed
- Wear fewer accessories, and keep your look clean
So ladies, as you get more mature and more wise with age, do tell, do you live by a new set of "rules" like Ellen does?