In her final diary entry, our anonymous blogging online dater lamented that first dates feel too interview-like, and who wants to be bored on a first date? While a little bit of back-and-forth "where did you grow up?" discourse is inevitable, when you're trapped on bar stools or in a restaurant booth with a new interest, nerves can get the best of us, and the date can devolve into a snoozefest fast. You may not be able to avoid a disastrous first date, but you can at least keep it entertaining with these 10 first date ideas that trump the usual dinner or drinks options.
- For the bravest of daters, a game of laser tag or paintball adds a fun, competitive edge to a first date.
- This Winter, break the ice, literally, by hittin' up your local ice skating rink for some laughs and laps.
- Exploring an aquarium or zoo with a fellow animal enthusiast gives you plenty of other mammals to focus on.
- Instead of sitting at a classy bar, go to your favorite dive bar for a game of pool, darts, or shuffleboard. You're both sure to feel more relaxed and less pressured to keep chitchatting if you have a game on your hands.
Ready for more ideas?
- Take a cooking class or sushi-making class together for a foodie-friendly date night.
- Are you an art lover? Find a local museum exhibit that's easy on the wallet and maybe even a bit out of the ordinary, for a first date full of "what in the world is that?" conversation starters.
- Don't just share a glass of wine together, do a wine tasting at a winery or wine bar to gain some vino knowledge — just don't get too tipsy!
- Do you feel the need for speed? Go-karting is a sporty and, from experience, hilarious date.
- Mix up the ho-hum movie date by going to a movie in the park or drive-in flick.
- Much less intense than the real deal, mini golf is the perfect outdoor first date.