We're happy to present this excerpt of a story from one of our favorite sites, YourTango. Today we learn seven tips to make your first romantic getaway a great experience.
Your first vacation as a couple is such an exciting milestone. This is an important point in your relationship because you will get a better idea of your long-term compatibility.
While it's easy to feel excited about going away together, you want to guard against unrealistic expectations that can ruin a good time. Keep in mind that your first vacation is not your honeymoon, so it might not be the most romantic event of your entire life. But that doesn't mean it won't be fun.
Ultimately, you want to make sure you get along. As a dating coach for women, I want to share seven suggestions on how to enjoy yourselves and minimize common stress points:
- Consider a long weekend instead a full-week vacation for your first trip. When you start small, you can tolerate differences so much easier. This is an opportunity to see what your rhythm will be like as a couple when you are together 24/7. The smart move is to try three or four days before getting in too deep and discovering you aren't trip-compatible.
- Discuss destinations and pick one together. You may want to go someplace where the outlet shopping is fantastic. He may want to go camping in the mountains. Choose a location that offers something for each of you. Compromise is the key to a lasting relationship so this will give you a chance to get your feet wet and build an essential skill.
For the rest of the article, head to YourTango: 7 Tips For Enjoying Your First Vacation Together.
Written by Ronnie Ann Ryan.
More from YourTango:
- Six Love Lessons For Katie Holmes During Her Divorce
- The Three Cs of a Happy Engagement
- Why I Regret My Passive-Aggressive Past