Skip Nav
Women
43 Bangin' (and Beautiful) Tattoos
Valentine's Day
30 Valentine's Day Cards That Put the Funny in Sexy
Relationships
Are You and Your Boyfriend Best Friends? Here's How You Really Know

Girls and Boys Are Similar

Gender Bending: Are Girls & Boys More Alike Than We Think?

I've always thought that gender is more of a sliding scale than a binary choice — you're not just one or the other, but that everyone falls somewhere in the spectrum between fairy princesses and Hulk Hogan. It's a snips, snails, and puppydog tails day in the news — gender, and our perception of it, is hot.

  • Ever wanted to know what gender your computer thinks you are? With a tiny click you can find out what your browser history says about your skirt or pant-wearing habits (gross generalization, noted.) Using data from the web demographic wizard Quantcast, the tricky program will analyze you in a second. Perhaps proving my sliding scale theory (apologies to the scientific theory) I scored 50 percent male and 50 percent female. How about you?

Really who wouldn't want a tutu and a wand? To see what else is happening in the world of gender (hint: Third-Sex toilets and naked parades!)

.

  • A school in rural Thailand discovered that a full 10 percent of the boys consider themselves to be transsexuals, and are uncomfortable with using the boys' bathroom. The solution? A third-sex toilet was installed to serve the middle of the spectrum population. I'm sure you're wondering — the little picture on the door is split down the middle, half boy, half girl.
  • The Olympics gender-testing is underway. A throw-back to the 1960s when (gasp!) women athletes had to parade naked in front of judges to prove their girlihood. It's a scientifically dicey practice, as some women do test more masculine than others due to a chromosomal birth defect. The tests have never uncovered a gender switcheroo, but one case in the modern Olympics exists. In 1936 a German athlete was forced by the Nazis to compete as a woman. He/she scored fourth.
  • Maybe like the US is embracing the purple-state from the melding of red and blue, gender is moving lavender from the girlie pink and the little boy blue? Is that some sugar, spice, and everything nice?

    Source

Around The Web

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

Join The Conversation
shanimalcracker shanimalcracker 7 years
I have a 97% likelihood of being a female. I think that fits me pretty well?
Roarman Roarman 7 years
I just had a gender discussion with my 8 year old the other day. She was telling me that kids were calling her a tomboy and saying that she didn't like girlie things. I explained that there should not be such a thing, if she likes to play sports and get dirty but happens to be a girl so be it. And on the other side if there is a boy who is into clothes and dolls, it shouldn't be a big deal either. My daughter also likes art, dolls and clothes. She is just a well rounded individual. My one year old son plays with his sisters dolls and carries my purse around, not a big deal.
Z-E-R-O Z-E-R-O 7 years
This reminds me of a fascinating show I watched a couple of days ago on the Nat Geo channel about the acceptance of a 3rd gender in other cultures/countries. I knew about its prevalence in Thailand and India, but the show informed me of the acceptance of it in Polynesia, too. I found it interesting that this 3rd gender was even documented by the missionaries when they arrived on the islands many moons ago.
em113 em113 7 years
oh and hypnotic, pretty much all of the bathrooms in my school's housing system are gender-neutral. For the most part it's not a big deal, but I've lived on halls with some VERY gross dudes, and I wish we had three options instead of just one gender-neutral space.
em113 em113 7 years
Mine says I'm 100% female even though I go to sites they designate male such as bestbuy and the newyorker (I guess all my online shopping cancels it out.) I found it funny that wachovia.com (my bank) was female. How can a bank favor one gender over another?
Jillz1128 Jillz1128 7 years
90% female. I did go on a search for a new hair salon, so I can see why that is the case.
hypnoticmix hypnoticmix 7 years
You know I was just looking at the third-sex toilet. That's interesting. I've been to a lot of places myself where restrooms are uni-sex and no one seemed to mind.
harmonyfrance harmonyfrance 7 years
Sigh. yahoo.com 0.9 myspace.com 0.74 youtube.com 1 facebook.com 0.83 ask.com 0.77 cnn.com 1.35 flickr.com 1.15 people.com 0.82 bigfishgames.com 0.25 hotmail.com 0.83 watch-movies.net 0.75 hillaryclinton.com 0.65 usmagazine.com 0.5 popsugar.com 0.69 teamsugar.com 0.98 abc.com 0.47 Okay mine says 99% female...and while I do enjoy being a girl ;) , I don't see how the websites above are 99% female. :?
superstephanie superstephanie 7 years
I wonder what Hilary Clinton would register as???? :)
amybdk amybdk 7 years
Liberty, you are now LibertySugarMan
UnDave35 UnDave35 7 years
Likelihood of being Female is 0% Likelihood of being Male is 100% Yup, that's me.
UnDave35 UnDave35 7 years
Likelihood of being Female is 0%Likelihood of being Male is 100%Yup, that's me.
chancleta chancleta 7 years
I'm 97% Female :)Don't worry Liberty. Maybe the news site are counted as male?
chancleta chancleta 7 years
I'm 97% Female :) Don't worry Liberty. Maybe the news site are counted as male?
LibertySugar LibertySugar 7 years
I'm 96% likely to be a male??!! Uhhhhhh . . .
356UIK 356UIK 7 years
sake - I dont think it can access private or encrypted websites, it didnt include all of the sites that I went to today such as my email, popsugar, or my banking website. I imagine that it is blocked from those. Either way, it really isnt all that cool or intereseting :P
356UIK 356UIK 7 years
Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 57% Likelihood of you being MALE is 43% Site Male-Female Ratio wikipedia.org 1.08 ebay.com 1.11 like.com 0.63
356UIK 356UIK 7 years
Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 57% Likelihood of you being MALE is 43% Site Male-Female Ratio wikipedia.org 1.08 ebay.com 1.11 like.com 0.63
KathleenxCouture KathleenxCouture 7 years
UnDave, my little brother used to like wearing girls flare jeans when he was little because he liked how they fit LOL he was like 7 and he fought my mom when she told him he couldnt wear them. He's grown out of that though and is strictly a boy clothes wearer (he's now 13) so I think it's safe to say your son is alright.
KathleenxCouture KathleenxCouture 7 years
hahaha mine is 100% female - Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 100% Likelihood of you being MALE is 0% Site Male-Female Ratio yahoo.com 0.9 myspace.com 0.74 youtube.com 1 facebook.com 0.83 walmart.com 0.77 target.com 0.67 imdb.com 1.06 overstock.com 0.68 fandango.com 0.82 victoriassecret.com 0.68 macys.com 0.59 mtv.com 0.75 zappos.com 0.57 piperlime.com 0.5 collegeboard.com 0.96 hollisterco.com 0.87 forever21.com 0.57 abercrombie.com 0.82 sephora.com 0.42 pandora.com 0.9 wetseal.com 0.63 gmail.com 0.9 hm.com 0.57 alloy.com 0.59 expressfashion.com 0.69 tiffany.com 0.61 bravotv.com 0.44 delias.com 0.57 the-n.com 0.59 teamsugar.com 0.98 ulta.com 0.44 ninewest.com 0.39 maccosmetics.com 0.56 yeah I'd say that I'm pretty female lol
CoralAmber CoralAmber 7 years
hmmm... it says I'm 65% male, I assume because of all the geek sites I frequent.
raciccarone raciccarone 7 years
According to my favorite comedian, Sinbad, girls and boys are actually quite different for hilariously different reasons!
hypnoticmix hypnoticmix 7 years
Well in my case...yeah.
hypnoticmix hypnoticmix 7 years
Well in my case...yeah.
otaku otaku 7 years
i'd love to know but there is no way i'm clicking a link that will allow a random website to access my browser history... yikes!
Latest Love
X