In this special How-To Lounge, I am going to give Saving Up Sandie some tips on how to have a wonderful Christmas on a budget. I am sure many of you have questions similar to hers so check out my advice below.
Hi Dear Sugar! My live-in boyfriend and I are pretty broke this year and can't afford to buy lots of presents for each other, but we want to make the holidays, well, feel like the holidays. Do you have any suggestions on how to make Christmas special on a budget? — Saving Up Sandie
Click here to read more.
- Instead of getting a big tree that costs a lot of money, opt for a miniature version and buy pine-scented candles to make your home still smell festive and alive.
- Instead of buying extravagant gifts for each other, write one another a card. Sometimes it's the card attached to the gift that's the most meaningful anyway.
- Since it's always fun to open something on Christmas, set a small dollar amount that neither one of you can go over and get creative! You don't need to spend a lot of money to give a good gift.
- Instead of going out for Christmas dinner, buy a bottle of wine and cook dinner at home.
- Invite family and friends over to celebrate with you — this holiday is really just about being together.
- The holidays are all about spreading cheer so perhaps you and your boyfriend could volunteer on Christmas day, and give back to your community. Not only will you feel good about yourself, but bringing a smile to someone else is the greatest gift of all.
I hope these tips help and if you have any additional ones you'd like to share, please do so in the comments below.