Even though we have passed typical "spring cleaning" time, it's never too late to clean out your closet. I just tackled one of my closets yesterday so I am here to give you some tips to make it as painless of a chore as possible!
Click here to
- Commit a chunk of time and make an afternoon out of it. Play some loud music, make sure you have snacks, even turn your phone off so you can really concentrate without any distractions
- Take everything out of your closet so you can not only see what you have, but you can also clean your shelves, dust your hanging rack, and vacuum the floor
- Some people suggest giving things away if they haven't been worn in a year, but I disagree with this statement. Fads come and go, so if you have a piece that you love that is simply out of style right now, keep it. Some vintage pieces are timeless and irreplaceable
- If something doesn't fit, give it away, no ifs ands or buts. Alterations can save some things, but most of the time the shape and form will get lost in translation
- Try on the clothes you are unsure about. Model it - if you like what you see in the mirror, keep it!
- Sometimes a second opinion is incredibly helpful. We all get emotionally attached to certain pieces even if they don't look good or don't fit, so a sister or best friend that can give an unbiased response is invaluable
- If you have limited space in your closet, store your sweaters and coats during the summer time, and your beach wear during the winter season
- Once you have inventoried your clothes, it's a great way to see what needs to be cleaned, repaired, and what is missing (if you have lent something to a friend)
- Once you have piles of things to give away, donate them to your local Goodwill -- not only will it make you feel good, but it will leave more room in your closet for new stuff!
Good luck, and remember, leave ample time as this takes a lot longer than you might think! If you have any other suggestions, please share them below.