Office gossip is inevitable, but you can find yourself in deep water if you're in the middle of it, so here are some tips on staying out of the firestorm at work.
Click here to
- Remember that the people you work with are your co-workers, not your best friends, so always maintain a level of professionalism.
- Drinking too much at your office party or acting out of control at your work picnic are surefire ways to have people talk about you, so keep yourself in check.
- Make it a policy of yours not to gossip about others in your office, or else you will find that others will gossip about you.
- Gossip is typically false or fabricated information spread through the grapevine, so take everything with a grain of salt and before you act on something you've heard, always confirm that your information is accurate.
- The only way to keep something a true secret is to stay mum, so don't tell even a trusted co-worker anything that you wouldn't want everyone in the office to know.
- If you catch someone spreading office gossip about you, the best thing to do is nip it in the bud ASAP before it gets to the wrong ears and damages your credibility at work.
Have any of you been affected by office gossip? Or do you have any good recommendations you can share?