Meeting guys can be extremely difficult. For those of you who need a little extra help, thank goodness for internet dating, speed dating, fix ups, and blind dates. For some tips to keep in your back pocket,
- Only let people you know and trust fix you up on a blind date. Your co-worker could think her best bud is wonderful, but she needs to know you both well enough to know if you are wonderful for each other
- If you chat on the phone or exchange e-mails prior to the date, keep them short. You don't want to create any unrealistic expectations or jump to any negative conclusions
- You want to be cautious on a blind date so pick a meeting place; don't have him pick you up. Although you are most likely being set up by a friend, you don't know your date, so make sure you have your own car or your own way home
- Suggest a coffee or drink date instead of committing to an entire evening together, i.e. dinner, in case you are not a good match. Keep in mind; drinks can lead to dinner if you hit it off!
- Don't go to your favorite bar or restaurant. Running into friends could be distracting and nerve wracking for both of you
- Keep an open mind. Going into the date with a negative attitude will surely be obvious and could put a damper on your night
- You never have a second chance to make a first impression, so dress to impress. Wear something you feel comfortable and confident in, but don't go overboard as men oftentimes don't understand trendy clothing
- Try to keep realistic expectations. It's better to be pleasantly surprised than let down
- Spark engaging conversation and open up. Talk about things you enjoy so your natural enthusiasm comes out
- Don't be too sarcastic or dry. Remember, the person you are with doesn't know your sense of humor or personality so be sure to come off approachable
- At the end of your date, be honest with each other. If you made a connection, plan to see each other again. If you were simply not a good match, let him know you enjoyed yourself and are glad you made a new friend
It takes time to get to know the people you date, so try not to make any snap decisions. Have fun out there and good luck!