Last week when I posted some tips for incorporating your boyfriend into your group of friends, a few of you mentioned that the reverse was more difficult so I decided to come up with ideas for getting your friends to accept a new boyfriend. To check them out please read more.
- Be open with your friends about your boyfriend, flaws and all. If you paint him to be perfect, it's likely they’ll sense trouble even if there is none. Also, communicating your relationship with your friends will let them feel more included in what’s going on with your life. If they feel invested in it, it’s likely they’ll feel more of a desire to get to know him.
- That said, don’t feel like you need to prove your boyfriend to them. If he’s as good of guy as you think he is, they’ll come around eventually.
- If there’s an issue between a specific friend and your man, figure out what’s going on from both of their sides. In my experience, most problems come from a miscommunication along the way that can be resolved with a little more time spent together. However, don’t force a relationship if it’s just not working. Give them space and just ask that both are respectful of the other.
- Make alone time for your friends! It may sound counterintuitive, but if you start to get into the pattern of choosing your boyfriend over your friends, they’ll take note and might just hold it against him.
- Most importantly, make sure your friends understand how important their opinion is to you, but also how much your boyfriend means to you. Sometimes it’s just a matter of communication and a little adjustment.