Moving in with your boyfriend is a huge step, one that takes serious consideration, so it is imperative that you ask yourself and your partner the appropriate questions before taking the next step in your relationship. I receive many questions from women asking if they are ready so hopefully these tips will help you determine just that.
Click here to
- Don't move in with someone out of obligation or to get out of a bad living situation with a roommate or your parents
- Be sure you have tackled the money talk. Will you be opening a joint bank account, who will pay the rent, the bills, the housekeeper, the groceries, etc. Be sure you are certain he can afford to pull his weight before you sign a lease
- Have a conversation about household chores. Many women get agitated if their partner doesn't pitch in, especially if one person is a neat freak and the other is a slob
- Ask yourself if you are comfortable with being yourself all the time around your mate, revealing every flaw, sharing a bathroom, etc.
- Be sure you are on the same page about drinking, smoking, going out with friends, having alone time, home decor, house guests, etc. so you are not constantly arguing about something you will never see eye to eye on
- What are your reoccurring arguments? Be sure you have a grasp about how to move past repeat fights -- just because you are moving in together, you are bound to still have your fair share of arguments
- Before you move in together, have a talk about your future. If you are awaiting a proposal because you are moving in together, make sure you are not going on false expectations. Have a timeline set and know what you are getting yourself into
- Although it is never fun to talk about the possibility of a breakup, talking about dividing your assets might be a good idea
All in all, trust yourself. If you are truly "ready" to move in together, go for it! Good luck to all of you.